700 Rose Hill Drive . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 529-6118
MarieBette is a throwback. While other restaurants try to make history, MarieBette Cafe and Bakery follows it. Owners Patrick Evans and Jason Becton look to the past, serving up faithful renditions of classic, mostly French, breakfast, lunch, and pastries.
And so, there is no pork belly in the Croque Monsieur, no wasabi in the Tuna Nicoise, and the baked eggs are, well, baked eggs. Throw in a breezy, cozy space and local art on the walls, and you’ve got a little slice of Paris on Rose Hill Drive. No wonder some transplants from France say it takes them back home.
What to Order
My nine-year-old son says he plans to take over The Charlottesville 29 one day, and practices by assessing the area’s best versions of his favorite foods. His first two categories are pancakes and chocolate chip cookies, and, after thorough research, he rates MarieBette first for both.
Also not to be overlooked is the pleasure of a simple breakfast. You know those warm breakfasts at boutique hotels that remind you how satisfying a plate of well-prepared eggs can be? MarieBette offers it seven days a week. Below is a list of other suggestions, Evans’ and Becton’s favorites, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where a local chef or personality has named a MarieBette dish as one of the best in town.
- Bakery Basket
- Brioche Feuilletée
- The Jorgenson (Tartine of Smoked Salmon, Crème Fraiche, Red Onion, Poached Egg)
- Croque Madame
- Apple Galette (Evans)
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheddar on a Croissant (Evans)
- Stuffed French Toast (Becton)
- Croque Madame (Evans)
- Tuna Nicoise (Becton)
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Espresso — Albee Pedone (formerly, Three Notch’d Brewing)
- Kouign Amann — Ian Glomski (Vitae Spirits)
- Financier — Brian Geiger (Cville Pie Fest); Jim Winecoff (Mona Lisa)
- Brioche Feuilletée — Jason Tesauro; Andy Hannas (Potter’s Craft Cider); Anna Gardner (formerly, Junction)
- Chocolate Almond Croissant — Caleb Warr (formerly, Tavola); Kathryn Matthews (IRON Paffles & Coffee)
- Chocolate Croissant — Karen Fiedler (Tin Whistle Pub)
- Canele — Amber Cohen (formerly, Junction); Michael Davis (The Wine Guild); Ivar Aass (Spirit Lab Distilling)
- Baguette — Erica Hellen & Joel Slezak (Free Union Grass Farm)
- Sourdough — Peter Robertson (Cote-Rotie)
- Five Grain Bread — Janey Gioiosa (formerly, Sweet Jane’s Pies)
- Brioche — Jen Naylor (Sussex Farm)
- Quiche Lorraine — Benoit Pineau (Pollak Vineyards)
- Croque Madame — The Dennisons (readers)
- Tuna Nicoise — Jeff Latchum (Williams Corner Wine)
- Buttermilk Pancakes — Jessica Hogan (Farmacy)