Five Finds on Friday: Ian Glomski
Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from Ian Glomski, PhD, founder of Vitae Spirits, the new distillery on Henry Avenue, beside Ace Biscuit & Barbecue. Current offerings are Platinum Rum, Golden Rum, and Modern Gin.
Vitae is open for tastings, tours, and bottle sales, Wednesday through Sunday, and just introduced a weekend brunch cocktail menu to pair with Ace Biscuit food, which you may bring to the distillery from next door. Glomski’s picks:
1) Ol’ Dirty Biscuit (customized with an egg sunny-side up on top) at Ace Biscuit & Barbecue. “Being raised a Yankee, I’ve surprised myself with how much I have embraced Southern food tastiness. The ODB’s fried chicken, pimento cheese, sausage gravy, and flaky biscuit touch my soul… maybe I was Edna Lewis in a past life.”
2) Kouign Amann at MarieBette. “When I moved back to the US after a stint living in Paris, I thought I’d never taste this ‘croissant on steroids’ again. A true Breton masterpiece, the kouign amann has only five ingredients, there is nothing to hide behind, so each of those ingredients as well as the execution has to be impeccable.”
3) Linguine alla Carbonara at Tavola. “It is very rare for me to ever order a dish more than once at a restaurant, yet here I am time and time again drawn to eating this creamy pancetta-y linguine cooked perfectly al dente Tavola. I can’t quite explain it…it’s just so satisfying!”
4) Carolina Jumbo Shrimp and Grits at Hamiltons’. “Once again my inner Edna Lewis makes me weak at the knees when it comes to Hamiltons’ shrimp and grits. There’s something so right about the combination of the sea mingling with the smoky tomatoes and creamy grits.”
5) Ramos Gin Fizz at The Alley Light. “This is the drink I use to test whether a cocktail bar is up to snuff. Who would think a cocktail made with cream and egg whites could dance so lightly on your tongue when mixed just right? Those Alley Light folks got it down pact.”