Ace Biscuit & Barbecue
711 Henry Avenue . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 202-1403
Why Ace Biscuit & Barbecue?
Great things happen when a chef cooks in his wheelhouse, and that’s just what Brian Ashworth has been doing since opening Ace Biscuit & Barbecue in 2012. For nearly five years before that, Ashworth ably discharged his duties as sous chef of Zocalo restaurant, where he was a key component of one of the most consistent kitchens in town. But, it’s the no-punches-held rib-sticking grub at Ace Biscuit & Barbecue that Ashworth was put on Earth to cook.
The venue is ideal: a bare bones hole-in-the-wall on Henry Avenue that once housed Dottie’s Cafe, where Ashworth was a regular growing up. Order at the counter for remarkably affordable food cooked with passion. Ashworth makes virtually everything from scratch right down to the pimento cheese with peppers that he smokes alongside shoulders of pig in his smoker out back.
What to Order
It’s really hard to go wrong at Ace Biscuit, but below are some of our favorites, along with Ashworth’s suggestions, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where other area chefs and personalities have named an Ace Biscuit & Barbecue dish one of the best in town.
- Southern Breakfast Sausage
- Chicken & Waffles
- Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Biscuit
- Ace Dip
- Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Ol’ Dirty Biscuit
- Ace Dip
- Brisket Biscuit
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Chicken & Waffles — Doug McLeod (formerly, Duner’s), Tomas Rahal (MAS), Loren Mendosa (Lampo, formerly Tavola), John Meiklejohn (formerly, Yearbook Taco)
- Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit — Sara Adduci (Feast!)
- Ol’ Dirty Biscuit — Nick Crutchfield (formerly, Commonwealth), Ian Glomski (Vitae Spirits); John Hoffman (Keswick Hall)
- Pit Beef Sandwich — Hunter Smith (Champion Brewing Company), Josh Hunt (Beer Run)
- Pulled Pork Soul Bowl with Fries and Bold & Spicy Sauce — Daniel Perry (JAM According to Daniel)
- Pulled Pork Sandwich with Fries — Kevin McElroy (Random Row Brewing Co.)
- Scrapple, Egg & Cheese Biscuit — Dave Warwick (Three Notch’d Brewing Company)