205 Monticello Road . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 244-3226
In an era when many chefs seek to create the next big thing, Lampo’s chefs devote themselves to a traditional food governed by rigid rules: Neapolitan pizza. With practice, study, and expert tutoring, the Lampo kicten has mastered the pizza, which alone warrants a slot in The Charlottesville 29.
But, there’s much, much, more. Some chefs vow to keep it simple, but then cannot help themselves. When it comes to keeping it simple, Lampo’s chefs walk the walk, embracing the Campanian approach to food: use outstanding ingredients and get out of the way, allowing the product to shine. The results can often leave customers wondering how something so simple can taste so good.
Behind the bar, Andrew Cole is one of the city’s most devoted bar managers, with a passion for cocktails and beer that rivals his love of wine. Start with one of his cocktails before enjoying a wine or beer paired with your food.
The tiny, brick Belmont space means there is often a wait, especially for dinner. But, the food, drinks, and cheerful service are always worth it.
What to Order
Daily specials invariably warrant consideration, especially General Tso’s Sweetbreads, the 2015 Dish of the Year, and the Szechuan Pastrami Panuozzo, the 2016 Dish of the Year. On the regular menu, a standout is the porchetta panuozzo, which three different area chefs named the best thing they ate in all of 2015. Below are our picks, choices by Lampo’s own chefs, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where other area chefs and personalities have named a Lampo dish one of the best in town.
- Antipasti: Pane; Polpettine al Forno
- Insalata: Cavolo Nero; Cavoletti Di Bruxelles
- Panuozzo: Porchetta; Muffalata; Vegetable
- Pizza: Margherita D.O.C.; Marinara D.O.C.
- Whatever Cocktail Andrew Feels Like Making
- Cavoletti Di Bruxelles (Mendosa)
- Vegetable Panuozzo (Mendosa and Beerens)
- Marinara D.O.C. Pizza (Beerens)
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Porchetta Panuozzo — JJ Myers (formerly, C&O); Jason Tesauro; Brian Geiger (Cville Pie Fest); Dan Frosaker (Feast!); Jason Boorman (Kardinal Hall); William Darsie (Mariebette Cafe & Bakery); Jess Martin (reader)
- Polpettine Panuozzo — Steve Yang (Tavola)
- Funghi Pizza — Charlie Toder (formerly, Kardinal Hall); John Hoffman (Keswick Hall); Laura Fonner (Duner’s); Carrie Hodgkins (Elysium Honey); Megan Kiernan (Forage); Gay Beery (A Pimento Catering); Sean Chandler (Champion Brewing Company)
- Hellboy Pizza — Vinnie Falcone (formerly, Red Pump Kitchen); Eames Coleman (Blue Star JüsBar and Baja Fish Taqueria); Caleb Warr (formerly, Tavola); Kelsey Naylor (formerly, Timbercreek Market); Zack Worrell (Monolith Knives); Bo Stockton (Michael’s Bistro & Taphouse)
- Margherita D.O.C. Pizza — Kirk Smith (formerly, Commonwealth); Tyler Davis (Caromont Farm); Albee Pedone (Three Notch’d Brewing); Sarah Sargent (The Catering Outfit); Chrissy Smith (Beer Run)
- Margherita Pizza — Hannah Moster (formerly, Hamiltons’); Peter Griesar (Brazos Tacos); Siân Richards (Market Street Wine); Kit Ashi (Monsoon Siam); Rachel Snogles (Kama)
- Prosciutto Pizza — Thomas Leroy (formerly, Kardinal Hall); Amber Cohen (formerly, Junction); Yannick Fayolle (Blue Ridge Pizza Co. and Fayolle’s Table); Kathryn Matthews (IRON Paffles & Coffee); Linda Steiner (Duner’s)
- Marinara D.O.C. Pizza — Shelly Robb (Prime 109, Lampo); Maya Hood White (Early Mountain Vineyards); Kay Pfaltz (Basic Necessities)
- Abruzzo Pizza – Josh Skinner (Champion Brewing Company)
- Vongole Pizza – Nathan Hatfield (Mount Ida Reserve)
- Carbonara Pizza — Liberty Kalergis (MAS Tapas)
- Polpettine — Gregg Dionne (Public Fish & Oyster); Landon Saul (Vivace); Nick Moon (formerly, Brasserie Saison); Chrissy Smith (Beer Run)
- Cavolo Nero — JR Hadley (Boylan Heights, Cho’s)
- Cavoletti Di Bruxelles — Justin Vesser (The Tennessean Steakhouse); Della Bennett (P L E N T Y)
- Aged Prosciutto — Collins Huff (Gryffon’s Aerie)
- Steak Tartare – Kelley Tripp (The Fitzroy)
- Escarole — Siân Richards (Market Street Wine)
- Conserva al spada — Kirk Smith (formerly, Commonwealth)
- Pizza Dough – Peter Robertson (Cote-Rotie)
- Banh Mi — Rowe Webster (formerly, Smoked Kitchen and Tap)
- Budino — Sara Miller (Timbercreek Market); Bryan Kelly (Harvest Moon Catering); Carolyn Stromberg Leasure (Righteous Cheese)