205 Monticello Road . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 244-3226
In an era when many chefs vie to create the next big thing, at Lampo three talented young chefs focus on a traditional food governed by rigid rules: Neapolitan pizza. With practice, study, and expert tutoring, the three chefs –Mitchell Beerens, Loren Mendosa, and Ian Redshaw — have mastered the pizza, which alone warrants a slot in The Charlottesville 29.
But, there’s much, much, more. Some chefs vow to keep it simple, but then cannot help from trying to show off through contrived cooking. When it comes to keeping it simple, Lampo’s chefs walk the walk, embracing the Campanian approach to food: use outstanding ingredients and get out of the way, allowing the product to shine. The results can often leave customers wondering how something so simple can taste so good.
A fourth owner, Andrew Cole, former sommelier of Tavola, is one of the town’s most devoted bar managers, whose passion for cocktails and beer rivals his love of wine. Start with one of his cocktails before enjoying a wine or beer paired with your food.
With a tiny, brick Belmont space, there is often a wait, especially for dinner. But, the food, drinks, and cheerful service are always worth it.
What to Order
Daily specials invariably warrant consideration, especially General Tso’s Sweetbreads, the 2015 Dish of the Year, and the Szechuan Pastrami Panuozzo, the 2016 Dish of the Year. On the regular menu, a standout is the porchetta panuozzo, which three different area chefs named the best thing they ate in all of 2015. Below are our picks, choices by Lampo’s own chefs, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where other area chefs and personalities have named a Lampo dish one of the best in town.
- Antipasti: Pane; Polpettine al Forno
- Insalata: Cavolo Nero; Cavoletti Di Bruxelles
- Panuozzo: Porchetta; Muffalata; Vegetable
- Pizza: Margherita D.O.C.; Marinara D.O.C.
- Whatever Cocktail Andrew Feels Like Making
- Cavoletti Di Bruxelles (Mendosa)
- Vegetable Panuozzo (Mendosa and Beerens)
- Hot Carl: a warmed Muffalata Panuozzo (Redshaw)
- Marinara D.O.C. Pizza (Beerens)
- Hellboy Pizza (Redshaw)
- Pasta a la Chittara with Broccolini, Ginger, and Calabrian Chili (Redshaw)
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Porchetta Panuozzo — JJ Myers (formerly, C&O); Jason Tesauro; Brian Geiger (Cville Pie Fest); Dan Frosaker (Feast!); Jason Boorman (Kardinal Hall); William Darsie (Mariebette Cafe & Bakery)
- Polpettine Panuozzo — Steve Yang (Tavola)
- Margherita Pizza — Hannah Moster (formerly, Hamiltons’); Peter Griesar (Brazos Tacos); Siân Richards (Market Street Wine); Kit Ashi (Monsoon Siam)
- Margherita D.O.C. Pizza — Kirk Smith (formerly, Commonwealth); Tyler Davis (Caromont Farm); Albee Pedone (Three Notch’d Brewing); Sarah Sargent (The Catering Outfit); Chrissy Smith (Beer Run)
- Marinara D.O.C. Pizza — Shelly Robb (Prime 109, Lampo)
- Prosciutto Pizza — Thomas Leroy (formerly, Kardinal Hall); Amber Cohen (formerly, Junction); Yannick Fayolle (Blue Ridge Pizza Co. and Fayolle’s Table); Kathryn Matthews (IRON Paffles & Coffee); Linda Steiner (Duner’s)
- Abruzzo Pizza – Josh Skinner (Champion Brewing Company)
- Funghi Pizza — Charlie Toder (formerly, Kardinal Hall); John Hoffman (Keswick Hall); Laura Fonner (Duner’s); Carrie Hodgkins (Elysium Honey); Megan Kiernan (Forage); Gay Beery (A Pimento Catering)
- Hellboy Pizza — Vinnie Falcone (formerly, Red Pump Kitchen); Eames Coleman (Blue Star JüsBar and Baja Fish Taqueria); Caleb Warr (formerly, Tavola); Kelsey Naylor (formerly, Timbercreek Market)
- Carbonara Pizza — Liberty Kalergis (MAS Tapas)
- Polpettine — Gregg Dionne (Public Fish & Oyster); Landon Saul (Vivace); Nick Moon (formerly, Brasserie Saison); Chrissy Smith (Beer Run)
- Cavolo Nero — JR Hadley (Boylan Heights, Cho’s)
- Cavoletti Di Bruxelles — Justin Vesser (The Tennessean Steakhouse); Della Bennett (P L E N T Y)
- Aged Prosciutto — Collins Huff (Gryffon’s Aerie)
- Steak Tartare – Kelley Tripp (The Fitzroy)
- Escarole — Siân Richards (Market Street Wine)
- Conserva al spada — Kirk Smith (formerly, Commonwealth)
- Pizza Dough – Peter Robertson (Cote-Rotie)
- Banh Mi — Rowe Webster (formerly, Smoked Kitchen and Tap)
- Budino — Sara Miller (Timbercreek Market); Bryan Kelly (Harvest Moon Catering); Carolyn Stromberg Leasure (Righteous Cheese)