Five Finds on Friday: John McMahon
Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from John McMahon of Schuyler Greens. You’ve either never had McMahon’s greens, or you love them. While most local produce suffers the whims of Mother Nature, hydroponically grown Schuyler Greens have great flavor and texture all year round. In addition to area restaurants, find them at Foods of All Nations, Feast!, Timbercreek Market, Crozet Great Valu, Reid’s, and Market Street Market. McMahon’s picks:
1) Ponch Burger at Jack Brown’s Beer and Burger Joint. “After a long week on the farm, nothing beats a cold beer and a Ponch Burger (or two) at Jack Brown’s, which is only available on Fridays.”
2) The Bellissima at Dr. Ho’s Humble Pie. “When you combine country ham, arugula, lemon vinaigrette, and shaved parmesan on a pizza, what is not to love? Pro tip: Wash down with a Three Notch’d Pomegranate Gose (when seasonally available).”
3) Enchiladas Rancheras at La Michoacana. “It is borderline stressful to order only one dish at La Michoacana. The food is that good.”
4) Cheesy Bacon Potatoes at Smoked Kitchen and Tap. “Although known for excellent BBQ and home to the biggest burger I’ve ever eaten (#thanks Charlottesville29), make sure to order a side of the cheesy bacon potatoes. It might be the best ‘hash’ I’ve ever had.”
5) The Dude Abides at Fry’s Spring Station. Great food across the board but the Dude Abides = comfort food in pizza form. They also have a huge craft beer menu that constantly changes, so it pays to visit often.