Dr. Ho’s Humble Pie
4916 Plank Road . North Garden, VA . (434) 245-0000
The full article on Dr. Ho’s is here. Short report below.
Why Dr. Ho’s?
Best pizza in the Charlottesville area? Best cheese bread? Best wings? Best french fries? Best nachos? Best fried fish? Best strombolis?
A good case can be made that all of these can be found at Dr. Ho’s Humble Pie, the pizza dive nine miles south of town founded by Gerry Danner and now run by chef-owner Michael McCarthy. McCarthy’s passion for simple, honest food and his refusal to take short cuts mean that nearly everything on the menu is outstanding. There are few restaurants whose food we crave as often as Dr. Ho’s.
What to Order
McCarthy’s small menu and narrow focus on honest food mean that if you close your eyes and point, you’ll probably be happy. The ever-rotating specials, however, are often standouts.
Among the pizzas, deserving special mention is the Bellissima, which is a riff on the prosciutto-and-arugula combination popular in parts of Italy. Instead of prosciutto, which can be expensive, McCarthy uses thin slices of Turner Country Ham. Atop that, McCarthy places a salad of arugula tossed in a lemony vinaigrette, and shavings of parmigiano-reggiano. McCarthy considers it his favorite pizza on the menu. Ours too. And, we are not alone, as the pizza seems to have developed a cult following around town.
Below are more of our picks, as well as the chef’s picks, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where chefs and personalities have named a Dr. Ho’s dish one of the best in town
- The Fat and Sassy, mozzarella, cheddar & roasted garlic loaded on to Dr. Ho’s heady crust! Served with the best ranch dressing you’ll ever have and marinara sauce. ($9) add $2 per topping
- Wings with Buffalo Sauce, served with celery & homemade blue cheese or ranch dressing ($10)
- Cornmeal Crusted Catfish, served with roasted corn salsa, old school tartar sauce, cilantro, fresh lemon ($9)
- Hand Cut French Fries, tossed with old bay and sea salt ($5)
- Stromboli, Just what the doctor ordered. Choose three toppings from the list and we will make you a mind blowing stromboli sure to cure what ail’s you. Served with mozzarella cheese, ho-made marinara sauce and ranch dressing. ($10)
- Pizza, any kind you like!
- Dr. Ho’s NacHo’s chili rubbed braised beef, cheddar, pickled jalapenos, roasted corn salsa, poblano lime cream, scallions ($11)
- French Onion Soup, (special) ($5)
FIve Finds on Fridays Picks
- Bellissima Pizza — Ben Thompson (The Rock Barn), Matt Turner (formerly Public Fish & Oyster), Richard Ridge (formerly, Restoration), Megan Headley (formerly C-VILLE), Kirsty Harmon (Blenheim Vineyards); John Shanesy (formerly, Parallel 38)
- Annie Oakley Pizza — Jarad Adams (formerly, Clifton Inn)
- Popeye Pizza — Doug McLeod (formerly, Duner’s)
- Don Juan Pizza – Will Reed (Virginia Distillery Company)
- Fat ‘n Sassy — Tracey Love (Hill & Holler), Rachel Pennington (The Pie Chest)
- Nachos — Brian Helleberg (Fleurie, Petit Pois), Angelo Vangelopoulos (Ivy Inn); Twenty Paces
- Spinach Salad — Rachel Pennington (The Pie Chest)
- The Big Schloss — Morgan Hurt and Gabe Garcia
- Spicy Fried Calamari — David Morgan (Tavern & Grocery)