12o E. Main Street . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 295-6691
Let’s face it. No one wants discount sushi. When it comes to sushi, you want the freshest, best-sourced ingredients available. And, that’s just what you will find at Ten, the Japanese restaurant serving Charlottesville’s most luxurious sushi for more than a decade. For six of those years, the kitchen has been under the steady leadership of Pei Chang, who trained with the restaurant’s original chef, a Nobu protege. Key to great sushi is the quality of the vinegared rice. At Ten, Chang spent years perfecting the recipe for the rice’s vinegar. And, it shows.
Walk up the stairs to the restaurant’s location above the downtown mall, and you may feel as if you’ve been transported. The sleek, minimalist, modern space recalls Manhattan or Tokyo more than Charlottesville. And, the serene, soothing setting makes it a preferred antidote for life’s stresses. Ten is Charlottesville’s favorite place to escape.
What to Order
If we’re feeling indulgent, we request “omakase.” Put yourself in the chefs’ hands, and let them send out whatever they’d like. We also enjoy daily specials, particularly on weekends, which allow Chang’s creativity to shine. Below are other recommendations, Chang’s suggestions, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where a local chef or personality has named a Ten dish as one of the best in town.
- Aburi Saba
- Rock Shrimp Tempura
- Avocado Tempura
- Oh Toro
- Sake Roll
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Oh Toro — Kelsey Naylor (formerly, Timbercreek Market); John Shanesy (formerly, Parallel 38)
- Omakase — Alex Import (JM Stock Provisions); Kirk Smith (formerly, Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar); Jennifer Keevil (Keevil & Keevil Grocery & Kitchen, formerly Brookville); Craig Hartman (The BBQ Exchange)
- Sake Garden Cocktail — Trish Clinton (formerly, The BBQ Exchange)
- Lobster Tempura — Rachel Pennington (The Pie Chest)
- Chirashi and Hendricks Dirty Martini — Emily Pelton (Veritas Vineyards and Winery)
- Sake Roll — Loren Mendosa (Lampo, formerly Tavola)
- “Coffee and Doughnuts”— Loren Mendosa (Lampo, formerly Tavola)
- Hamachi Collar — Mike Yager (formerly, Glass Haus Kitchen)
- Specials — Ian Boden (The Shack, formerly Glass Haus Kitchen)
- Avocado Tempura — Amalia Scatena (formerly, Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards)
- Kampachi Sashimi — Kirsty Harmon (Blenheim Vineyards)
- Rock Shrimp Tempura — Michael Keaveny (Tavola)
- Karaage — Jon Bray (Champion Tap Room)