Five Finds on Friday: Diane Burns
Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards Horticulturist Diane Burns, who has expanded Pippin Hill’s flower beds and added new varieties just for a Cut Flower Workshop, July 23 at Pippin Hill. After a tour of Burns’ gardens, guests will learn how to harvest, handle, and arrange flowers, using the sustainable flowers from Burns’ gardens. Next, guests will take their arrangements to the Reserve Room Veranda to enjoy a chef’s lunch featuring vegetables from Burns’ garden, with plenty of Pippin Hill wine. Each guest will take home their floral arrangement. Tickets and info here.
Burns’ picks, which include her favorite local foods from Charlottesville City Market and beyond, particularly for summertime grilling:
1) Kielbasa from Double H Farm. “I love their smoky kielbasa flavored with garlic and spices. It is fantastic with grilled peppers.”
2) Carmen and Escamillo Peppers from Bellair Farm. “There are lots of vendors that sell produce at the market, but I like visiting with Jamie, and his friendly crew of folks, for the freshest produce. I buy the Carmen and Escamillo peppers to pair with kielbasa.”
3) Ginger Jam from The Farm at Red Hill. “Wendy and Richard do a great job with dips and sauces, and their new line of ginger jam is the perfect addition when preparing grilled pork tenderloin. I first discovered The Farm at Red Hill at the Charlottesville City Market, and while the team no long participates in farmers’ markets, their goods can be found at The Great Valu in Crozet, Foods of All Nations, Whole Foods and the Barracks Road Harris Teeter.”
4) Tulip Poplar Honey from Elysium Honey Company. “We actually just added an apiary at Pippin Hill, so honey is on my mind. I love to brush the honey on thick slices of pineapple — grilling it lightly, just to show the grill marks. Yes, it really is all about the grill marks.”
5) Chocolate Pecan Pie from Family Pies & Ties. “Lynette’s Chocolate Pecan Pie is to die for. I prefer to eat it straight from the pie pan. It’s made with love and lots of chocolate. We can’t get enough of their baked goods.”