5022 Plank Road . North Garden, VA . (434) 202-8063
Why Pippin Hill?
A vineyard with a restaurant that’s worth the drive?
You bet. And, it’s not just for the stunning view, or the breathtaking setting. The North Garden vineyard nine miles south of town happens to serve world class food, too. Owners Dean and Lynn Easton Andrews are nationally acclaimed veterans of high end-hospitality, and it shows. The Tasting Room restaurant offers what Pippin Hill calls “vineyard-to-table cuisine” – a menu inspired by Pippin Hill’s wines, using produce grown on site. While there are lots of ways to enjoy a visit to Pippin Hill, our favorite is to spend much of the day there. We start by ordering a little food and some wine. And, then we order some more. And then maybe some more.
It’s simple. When we have guests in town, we go to Pippin Hill.
What to Order
Below are our menu favorites, as well as picks from the chef, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where chefs and personalities have named a Pippin Hill dish one of the best in the area. A seasonally changing menu means that some of these picks might not always be available. But, don’t fret. We’ve never had a bad meal at Pippin Hill.
- Chicken Liver Pate
- Buttermilk Fried Oysters
- Grilled Local Asparagus
- Croque Monsieur
- Meyer Lemon and Olive Oil Cake
- Grilled Rock Barn Mordatella, with Caromont Farm Chévre and local blackberry salad
- Chilled Pea Soup, poached shrimp, pickled serrano peppers, brown butter
- Blueberry and Lemon Verbena Sorbet
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Amy’s Arugula Salad, with Albemarle sour cherries, duck confit, sunny side up farm egg, and Caromont Farm Chévre — Gail Hobbs-Page (Caromont Farm)
- Croque Monsieur — Lee Hendrickson (Red Pump Kitchen)
- Chicken Liver Pate — Brooks Tanner (formerly, BBQ Exchange); Carol Davidson
- Cheese Board and Charcuterie Board — Craig Hartman (BBQ Exchange)