108 2nd St SW . Charlottesville VA . (434) 296-7687
104 14th Street Northwest . Charlottesville, VA. (434) 979-9988
Why Revolutionary Soup?
Revolutionary Soup is deceptively named. Sure, you can find great soups at the popular counter-service joint with locations on The Corner and The Downtown Mall. But, there is so much more. In fact, we’ve long thought it might just as appropriately be called Revolutionary Sandwiches.
Owner Will Richey lives on a farm, and sources many of his ingredients there as well as from other local outlets, which are great building blocks for the huge menu of sandwiches, salads, and soups. As co-founder of The Wine Guild, Richey is also one of our area’s biggest oenophiles, which means there are always a well-chosen red and white by the glass to wash down the meal. Or, select from a refrigerator stocked full of aritsan brews.
While Rev Soup is most popular at lunch, it is a sneaky-good dinner option as well. Healthy, affordable, and delicious. After work, why go home and cook, when you can pick up a thoughtfully conceived and prepared soup, salad, or sandwich? We score big points at home when we walk in the door with a couple of creative salads or a few pints of Lamb Curry.
What to Order
The rotating selection of ten soups changes often, but a few staples are always available, including the signature Senegalese Peanut Tofu, Lamb Curry, Tomato Basil, and Miso. All come with a fresh roll from Albemarle Baking Company. There is also a long list of sandwiches and salads. Below are our favorite items, Richey’s picks, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where a chef or personality has named a Rev Soup dish one of the best in town. It seems the lamb curry is a hit.
- Lamb Curry
- 90’s Club (Roasted chicken breast, bacon, cheddar, avocado, lettuce, tomato, onions & house sauce on a kaiser roll)
- Gulf Coast Wrap (House spiced shrimp, avocado, roasted red peppers, hard-boiled egg, spring greens and a zesty dressing)
- Wild Mushroom Wrap (Wild mushrooms sautéed with Gruyère bechamel and spring greens)
- Shrimp and Grits (Shrimp marinated in a smoked paprika and garlic sauce served in local grits)
- Daily Specials, especially the Red Row Sandwich and Heirloom Tomato Sandwich
- Lamb Curry
- 90’s Club
- Garlic Garden Club (Sautéed red onions, roasted red peppers, and cheddar, with fresh avocado, lettuce, tomato, and garlic aioli on griddled sunflower wheat bread)
- Quesadillas (pro tip: Richey recommends eating these in-house rather than to-go)
Five Finds on Friday Picks