Five Finds on Friday: Penn Webster
On Fridays, we feature five food finds selected by local chefs and personalities. Today’s picks come from Penn Webster, sous chef of The Ivy Inn Restaurant.
1) Cheeseburger at Riverside Lunch. “I order mine with chili, onions, mustard, and slaw. That is ‘all the way’ where I come from in North Carolina, and Riverside does it right on. You have to order a basket of fries and onion rings to share at the table. Plus, the nice lady writes on your cup what drink you are enjoying with your meal!”
2) Spanakopita from Mr V’s Kitchen. “I have been eating Mr V’s wonderful pastry for years. I just don’t tire of it ever. On special occasions, he makes lahanodolmades, meat-stuffed cabbage rolls. They are 100 percent awesome. Plus, he makes a mean pizza as well.”
3) Rock Barn Bratwurst and Barefoot Bucha Cherry Root at the Lockn’ Festival. “Odd combo for sure, but at Lockn’ it just seemed right. It kept me going for four days of fun and working the festival.”
4) Tacos at La Michoacana. “It really doesn’t matter what type of tacos you order. They all taste good, and I end up smothering them with fresh hot salsa out of the squirt bottles anyway. It is cheap and tasty. And, remember to bring cash.”
5) Chicharron en Salsa Verde at El Tepeyac. “Not something I would recommend eating everyday, but it is so good and spicy. I think I broke out in a sweat last time I ate it.”