Five Finds on Friday: Stuart Madany
On Fridays, we feature five foods finds selected by local chefs and personalities. To mark the first day of Virginia’s Cider Week, today’s picks come from Stuart Madany, cidermaker at Castle Hill Cider. On Saturday November 23, Castle Hill Cider will host Cider Fest 2013, from 11 am to 5 pm, featuring cider tastings, food by area chefs, and music by Love Canon. Madany’s picks:
1) Apple Kraut from Farmstead Ferments. “Naturally fermented red and green cabbage, apples and a spice blend including allspice and juniper. Crunch, tang, and aromatics. Surprisingly addictive.”
2) Esmontonian from Caromont Farm. “An aged raw goat’s milk tomme cheese. Wonderfully nutty and complex. Artisanal comfort food.”
3) Red Curry at Lime Leaf. “I find Thai food to pair wonderfully with cider, and this is one of my local favorites.”
4) Homemade Salad with Roasted Beets and Arugula from Bellair Farm and vinaigrette made with cider vinegar from Virginia Vinegar Works.
5) Elderflower Sunrise kombucha from Barefoot Bucha. “Great balance, delicious, sustainable.”