Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from an unsung hero of the COVID-19 crisis, WillowTree Principal Product Strategist Margo Bulka, who single-handedly designed and built Charlottesville’s best resource for responding to it: supportcville.com. There, you can find how to help and how to get help. In maintaing the site, Bulka is grateful for Jordy Yager, who oversees the site’s content, and WillowTree, for its great support of her efforts. In Bulka’s picks, she celebrates restaurants offering takeout as a way to try to survive this crisis:
1) The Bill at Brazos Tacos. “‘Mashed potatoes on a taco?’ My skeptical out of town visitors will always raise an eyebrow. ‘Just trust me.’ With potatoes and mushrooms smothered in zingy honey jefe topped with cilantro, The Bill has the natural joy of a taco but with a kick. Unexpected but amazing.” (UPDATE: Brazos is closed indefinitely.)
2) Shaved Salad at Oakhart Social. “Around an evening dinner table, a friend shared a rumor about this salad – supposedly, it was once voted the best in the world. The whole world? Crisp fresh fennel, sweet crunch of fresh apple, parmesan dressing. Heavenly. Pass it on.” Order it for curbside pick-up here.
3) Margarita D.O.C. at Lampo. “I can’t tiptoe around it. Picking a favorite on the Lampo menu is next to impossible (the Hellboy, the Abruzzo . . . the Cavoletti Di Bruxelles) but the Margarita D.O.C. wins the crown. The simplicity of fresh, bubbling mozzarella di bufala after a trip inside the wood-fired oven makes it unforgettable.” Order it for curbside pick-up here.
4) Kao Soi at Monsoon Siam. “Curry, brothy, noodle-y goodness topped with crispy egg noodles and cilantro. A remarkable symphony of savory and sweet against a soft crunch. What is even happening in that bowl? Unclear, but it’s fantastic.” Order it for curbside pick-up or delivery here.
5) Lemon Ricotta Pancakes at MarieBette. “You’ll have to zoom in early on Saturday mornings to beat the line, but the weekend alarm is worth it. I love this stack of fluffy pancakes followed by the morning nap that often ensues.” Call (434) 529-6118 to order Buttermilk Pancakes from MarieBette’s new takeout menu here.