Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from Tiffany Nguyen. A Charlottesville food lover since 2008 and mother of four, Nguyen is pictured here with her husband Luan, co-founder of the Charlottesville start-up Braid.
In celebration of the Culture of Takeout, all autumn long Five Finds on Friday features readers selected at random in a weekly drawing. Also part of the prize is a $100 restaurant gift certificate, like Nguyen’s to Lampo. Check back Monday to enter next week’s drawing, which includes a $100 gift certificate to Ivy Inn.
Nguyen’s favorites from the Culture of Takeout:
1) Porchetta from Lampo. “Really, we love almost everything on the Lampo menu – Olives! Negroni! Hellboy! Oh my! However, a consistent order for me is the meaty sandwich paired with greens. It offers a balance I find hard to resist.”
2) Oxtail (Friday) from Pearl Island Cafe. “If you haven’t tried this, it’s a must: the flavors, fall-off-the-bone saucy goodness with some delicious plantains. Again, another restaurant where you cannot go wrong with anything from their menu.”
3) Manti from Sultan Kebab. “We first learned of this then-off-menu item from friends a couple years ago, and now we are hooked. Perfectly sized dumplings in a tangy yogurt sauce with a hot oil that offers just a small kick is a taste that I cannot recreate at home, and therefore a perfect option for takeout.”
4) Mochiko Chicken Platter with Watercress and Poke from Mochiko. “It’s hard to beat a generous portion of freshly and perfectly fried small bites of chicken with well seasoned greens and rice for around $10. I love to splurge a little and add poke as a side, and I never regret it.”
5) Paella from MAS. “At home date night felt extra special with a tasty paella that has smoky flavors, myriad of seafood, and plenty to fill you up. Add the sangria, and you almost forget you’re not eating out. Almost.”