The 2018 Charlottesville 29 is here, answering: if there were just 29 restaurants in the Charlottesville area, what would be the ideal 29? One restaurant will be added each day, until The 2018 Charlottesville 29 is complete.
Next up is Bizou – the OG. Why Bizou? See the Bizou guide, with ordering recommendations from the chef and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where other chefs have named a Bizou dish one of the best in town.
Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from Carol Davidson. It’s my mother’s 39th birthday again today, and she is celebrating by sharing some of her favorite foods from her many Charlottesville visits. You could make a case that The Charlottesville 29 is all her fault. After all, she is responsible for, well, my existence, and she also kindled my passion for food at an early age by including me in my parents’ outings to fancy French restaurants and allowing me to order an extra appetizer while they ate dessert. Happy Birthday. My mother’s picks:
1) Chicken Liver Pate at Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards. “Three pates dominate my list. First, the chicken liver pate at Pippin Hill is not just good to eat but comes elegantly served in its own glass container. Paired with one of their outstanding white wines on their beautiful patio, it makes for a heavenly lunch. Once I asked if I could take one with me for a train ride to Florida. They kindly obliged – but only on the condition that I return the container to them in due course; good reason to go back for more!”
2) Chicken Liver Mousse at Petit Pois. “Then, the pate at Petit Pois has always been a must when I visit Charlottesville. I don’t think I have ever missed an opportunity to enjoy it, and it is especially nice when the weather is good enough to sit outside on the patio on the downtown mall watching the crowds go by.”
3) Foie Gras and Passionfruit Mousse at Fleurie. “Pate de foie gras is, maybe, my favorite food. At Fleurie it is outstanding, particularly when Jose makes some for Simon to bring as an extra Christmas present for me to enjoy in Connecticut. I don’t know if it’s a staple on the menu but, if it is, it is not to be missed; and, if it isn’t, request it!”
4) Bacon and Egg on a Plain Bagel at Bodo’s. “No visit would be complete without breakfast at Bodo’s – a Charlottesville institution and, to my taste, the best anywhere. Just a simple egg and bacon bagel hits the spot every time.”
5) Princess Cake from Albemarle Baking Company. “Finally, for something sweet, the marzipan covered Princess Cake from Albemarle Baking Company is absolutely delicious. But you have to like marzipan, of course!”