There were many great tacos in 2016, from places like La Michoacana, The Bebedero, Al Carbon, Brazos, Tako Nako, Las Cavanas, Beer Run, and more. But, the most memorable was this masterpiece from the truck Tacos Gomez. A handmade tortilla encases silky, gelatinous, robust meat pulled from the head of a cow, with cilantro and onion to cut the richness. It was not just the best taco of 2016, but a serious contender for dish of the year.
Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from John Hoffman, Executive Chef of Keswick Hall. On New Year’s Eve, Keswick is offering several different ways to celebrate the new year, including a special tasting menu with a jazz trio; a gala with an eight-piece band, cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and a champagne toast; and, even a bash for the kids while their parents celebrate. For details and reservations, call (434) 924-4346. Hoffman’s picks:
1) Funghi Pizza at Lampo. “Lampo is our ‘Happy Place’ as my wife says. From Chef Loren to all of the service staff, they make your experience feel welcoming. The Funghi pizza with Sharondale Farm mushrooms and the house made N’duja are my go-tos.”
2) Ol’ Dirty Biscuit at Ace Biscuit and BBQ. “We went to Ace on a recommendation and it instantly reminded us of being back in Charleston, SC. The Ol’ Dirty Biscuit is our breakfast staple.”
3) Empanadas at The Bebedero. “When my wife and I are having trouble deciding on a dinner date, we always seem to agree on The Bebedero. The drinks are great and the food seems to be bursting with freshness. The empanadas or if you’re lucky enough to catch pozole as a special are some of our favorites.”
4) The Farm at Oakhurst Inn. “On lazy Sundays mornings we like to roll into the little cottage known as the Oakhurst Inn for brunch. The Farm is always seasoned perfectly and the pickled jalepenos add just enough kick to get you moving.”
5) Crunchy Spicy Tuna Roll at Now & Zen. “I met Toshi while working an event at Keswick. The next week we had to stop by with some friends to check it out. The big rolls are something we’d never seen before. Our favorite is the crunchy Spicy Tuna but anything with eel is a plus.”