I am just a po’ boy, though my story’s seldom told.
His story is that The Whiskey Jar’s fried oysters were the favorite dish in Charlottesville of the restaurant owner’s late father, who was known to be unafraid to say what he thought. Others have called them the best fried oysters anywhere. And, they are the foundation of the area’s most crave-worthy po’ boy.
The kitchen lightly coats Virginia or North Carolina oysters in a house breading, and fries them on high heat to achieve a crisp exterior without overcooking them. The rest of the sandwich’s adornments are traditional: shredded lettuce, tomato, red onion, and house remoulade. All are nestled just right into a mini French loaf to allow for suitable chomping.
Today’s Five Finds on Friday come from Norkeita Goins of Caked Up, a custom cake and cupcake baker with new flavors weekly. As a Black-owned Restaurant and Food Business, Goins says she is amazed by how much support Caked Up has received the last few weeks. “I’m so blessed right now,” said Goins. Want to spread love and cupcakes to your friends while supporting a local business? Buy e-gift cards here. Goins’ picks:
1) Frozen Lime Margarita at Guadalajara Downtown. “Hold the salt! One of life’s happiest moments in a glass. The lime flavor is so sweet, bitter, and sour. Plus tequila. It pairs so well with their Burrito California (with steak).”
2) Queso Frito at Guajiros Miami Eatery. “Sweet, crispy fried cheese that will melt in your mouth served with the best dipping sauce. They are so amazing. Don’t plan on sharing these because you will want them all to your self.”
3) Pecan Bun at MarieBette Cafe and Bakery. “This is my go-to treat from MarieBette. It’s so buttery, flaky, and sweet with just the right amount of pecans.”
4) Blueberry Pancake Bake from Plenty Cville. “OH MY GOSH! When the blueberry pancake bake was an item on Della’s weekly menu I had to try it. I’m not a huge fan of blueberries, but Plenty Cville has changed this for me. Moist, tender, cake like pancake with fresh blueberries and drizzled blueberry maple syrup. The berries were so sweet and that sauce was fire. If it’s ever placed back on the menu, you will not be disappointed.”
5) Double Stuffed Baked Potato at Royalty Eats. “There’s so much that goes into this ginormous potato. It’s loaded with your choice of meat (chicken, steak, or shrimp), broccoli florets, loads of cheese, and sour cream. It’s so good on a comfort food day.”