111 East Main Street . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 202-7027
Why Brasserie Saison?
Originally conceived to fill a Charlottesville void with Benelux-style food designed to pair with beer, Brasserie Saison has evolved into a restaurant that stands out less for its style of cuisine than its overall excellence. From food, to drinks, to service, Brasserie Saison – a European-style brasserie touched by Charlottesville – may be the most polished restaurant in town.
Owner Hunter Smith also runs Champion Brewing Company, which brews Belgian-style beers specifically for the restaurant. Also stellar are wines and cocktails, with one of the best bars in town. For a heightened experience, head downstairs to the tiny restaurant-within-a-restaurant The Coat Room, where you’ll enjoy your own dedicated server and bartender, among other perks.
What to Order
Below is a list of our suggestions, recommendations from the owner, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where a local chef or personality has named a Brasserie Saison dish as one of the best in town.
- Endive Salad
- Seven Hills Beef Tartare
- Crispy Scallops
- Pork Cut
- Raclette Sandwich
- Buttered Popcorn Pudding
- Pork Schnitzel Sandwich and Simple Greens Salad
- Spicy Thai Curry Mussels
- Country Paté
- Epoisses Cheese and Dubbel bread plate with pickled apples
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Fried and Raw Brussels Sprouts — Carrie Hodgkins (The Elysium Honey Co.); Alex Bryant (Tom Tom Founders Festival); Maya Hood White (Early Mountain Vineyards)
- Beet Salad — Priscilla Hurley (Tavola)
- Moules Frites — Eric Breckoff (Piedmont Virginia Community College)
- Deviled Egg Dip with Savory Waffles and Crispy Potatoes – Marijean Oldham (100 Things to Do in Charlottesville Before You Die)
- Chicken Liver Toast — Janna Hackworth (formerly, Revolutionary Soup)
- Crispy Scallops — Becca Lesnoff (Brasserie Saison)
- Seven Hills Beef Tartare — Rachel Snogles (Kama)
- Branzino — Whitney Foster (Brasserie Saison)
- Pork – Whitney Foster (Brasserie Saison)
- Salted Dark Chocolate Sorbet – Alicia Simmons (Tavola)