2055 Bond Street, Suite 180 . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 923-3838
Why Parallel 38?
Opened in January 2014, Parallel 38 is Charlottesville’s best restaurant featuring mezze, small plates of food rooted in cuisines of Mediterranean countries like Greece, Turkey, and Lebanon. Justin Ross, who co-owns the restaurant with Steve Pritchard, once managed perhaps the nation’s most renowned mezze restaurant, Jose Andre’s Zaytinya, in Washington D.C.. And, it shows.
The food of Parallel 38 celebrates regions hovering 38 degrees north of the equator, like the Mediterranean, Napa Valley, and Charlottesville, and has even been featured at the James Beard House. Ross, meanwhile, has a strong background in wine, and his list features 100 carefully chosen wines, all available by the glass, focused on the same regions. The cocktail program is serious, too, with barrel-aged cocktails, and house-made ingredients like Sekanjabin, a tart Iranian vinegar syrup. Finally, the sleek setting may be the most dazzling in town, with towering ceilings, a wall mural of the 38th parallel, and huge windows looking out onto Stonefield shoppers and movie-goers.
What to Order
Below are our suggestions, Ross’s suggestions, and appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where other area chefs and personalities have named a dish from Parallel 38 one of the best in town.
- Sauteed Shrimp
- Lamb Tartare
- Grilled Lamb Loin
- Roasted Pork Belly
- Boer Bok Meatballs
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Gnocchi – soubise, peperonata, fine herbs
- Boer Bok Skewer – Autumn Olive Farms heritage goat, ras el hanout, grilled naan, tzatzik
- Roasted Pork Belly – cipollini onions, roasted garlic, sumac, pork jus reduction
- Pan Seared Bronzini – brown butter, barberries, saffron potatoes, tomato concasse
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake – vanilla ice cream, spicy chocolate, lemon curd, milk crumble, allspice
Five Finds on Friday Picks