156 Carlton Rd. #202 . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 293-4302
Why Pad Thai?
In an era when more and more “Thai” restaurants alter recipes to suit American tastes, Pad Thai stands out. The restaurant that Santi Ouypron runs with his wife Utaiwan offers true Thai home cooking — literally. The recipes at Pad Thai are the same ones the Ouyprons used at an eatery they ran out of their Thailand home for five years, before coming to the United States in 2005. You can taste the difference. A great draught list includes hoppy beers like Bell’s Two Hearted Ale that provide the perfect foil to the fiery dishes. It’s no wonder so many top chefs are regulars.
What to Order
While chefs go crazy for the noodle bowls, we find ourselves usually going for the daily specials. Below is a list of our favorites, along with the Ouyprons’ picks, as well as Pad Thai’s appearances in Five Finds on Friday, where area chefs and personalities name five favorite dishes in the area.
- Grandpa’s Favorite
- Drunken Noodles
- Beef Tongue Pad Kapao (special)
- Swai Pad Numprikpao (special)
Chefs’ Picks (Ouyprons’)
- Bar Snacks
- Red Curry
- Clear Broth Noodle Bowl
- Chinese Broccoli with Pork Belly
Five Finds on Friday Picks
- Drunken Noodles with Chicken, Spicy - Melissa Close-Hart (Palladio)
- Drunken Noodles, “Thai hot” - Ian Redshaw (Lampo)
- Drunken Noodles with Beef – Rachel Willis (Cakes by Rachel)
- Clear Broth Noodle Bowl (fka Wonton Noodle Soup) - Vu Nguyen
- Tom Yum Noodle Bowl with Beef Tongue – Brian Ashworth (Ace Biscuit & Barbecue)
- Roast pork with shrimp wonton and wonton noodles - Ivan Rekosh (Zocalo)
- Thai beef consomme noodle bowl – Andrew Silver (Zocalo), Josh Lowry (Zocalo)
- Spicy Noodle Bowl – Phillip Gerringer (South Fork)