On Fridays, we feature five food finds from local chefs and personalities. Today’s picks come from Mark Gresge of l’etoile Catering. The recently closed l’etoile restaurant was one of the area’s most beloved restaurants for two decades, and l’etoile Catering is already one of the premier outfits in town. Call 434-823-1435 for details.
In addition to the five picks below, Gresge could not resist a sixth, in recognition of his talented former chef of l’etoile, Ian Redshaw. “6. Pizza at Lampo,” said Gresge. “I have not had one yet, but I know that it belongs on the list. If Chef Ian put it in the oven, it is going to be great indeed.” Gresge’s picks:
1) Buttermilk Biscuit at The Whiskey Jar. “Handed to me fresh out of the oven by Rachel Pennington, the pastry chef. Sometimes in cooking, there is beauty in simplicity.”
2) Grilled Bologna and Egg Sandwich at Mel’s Cafe. “Prepared and served by Mel himself with a smile. White bread has now found its true calling.”
3) Bocadillo Jamon at MAS Tapas. “After giving birth to twins, this is the first item that my wife asked for. This is an under-the-radar masterpiece.”
4) Glazed Sugar Cookie from Pearl’s Bake Shoppe. “After one bite, I paused and pondered – this is one wonderful cookie. It made me very happy.”
5) Shakedown Imperial Chocolate Cherry Stout at Starr Hill Tasting Room. “Perfect beer for a winter evening. I had to beg the family to let me stay and have another. Pairs well with the handful of Fritos taken from son’s bag.”