On Fridays, we feature five food finds selected by local chefs or personalities. As August is Virginia Craft Beer Month, we are following last week’s picks from Blue Mountain’s Taylor Smack with picks from Mark Thompson, Founder and Master Brewer of Starr Hill Brewery. Tomorrow is not only the Virginia Craft Brewers Fest, but also the start of Starr Hill’s Back to School week, featuring six consecutive nights of Starr Hill events at bars on UVa’s corner. Thompson’s picks:
1) BBQ Sandwich and a cold Northern Lights at Three Notch’d Grill. Made with love by my lifelong friend Hayden Berry.
2) Hippie Wings (with Ghost Rider sauce if you dare) and Festie Amber Lager at Fardowners with Grover the chef/owner. (Hippie Wings are breaded Portabella mushrooms tossed in your choice of sauce.)
3) Picnic lunch from Greenwood Gourmet Grocery. The food is as excellent as the company of Dave and Nina.
4) Gambas al’ Parilla at Mas, to catch up with Tomas, and because you can still taste the garlic the next day.
5) Any place that serves Starr Hill beer, because the best beer in the world is always the one in front of you.