Five Finds on Friday: Dave Kostelnik
On Fridays, we feature five food finds selected by local chefs, personalities, or readers. This week’s picks come from Dave Kostelnik, General Manager of Feast!, Charlottesville’s favorite gourmet food shop and cheesemonger. Kostelnik’s five picks:
1. Coriander Fish Rolls from Peter Chang’s China Grill. Miniature, crispy fish cigar. Yes please! Be forewarned, I refuse to share these with anyone and will often eat two orders all by myself prior to entrees arriving. Stop judging me. Stop it.
2. Pork Belly with Colonel Bacon BBQ Sauce from BBQ Exchange. Consume with a variety of house-made pickles for good measure. It’s a little known fact that every time you eat BBQ pork belly an angel gets its wings and an obese kitten is rescued from a tree. Do you not like angels and obese kittens? Exactly. Eat BBQ pork belly.
3. Gambas al’ Parilla from Mas. Grilled shrimp + garlic alioli + grey sea salt. Simple. I am half convinced that Tomas puts an addictive chemical in the dish that makes me crave it fortnightly (which oddly enough I am comfortable with).
4. Baked Currant Donuts from Albemarle Baking Company. A relatively new invention by team ABC. Admittedly I was not sold at first, but now things are different. Now I eat at least 3 of these per week. Gerry laughs maniacally whenever he sees me approach because he knows I lack the self-control to resist. Thanks Gerry.
5. Saganaki from Orzo Kitchen and Wine Bar. Let’s be clear about one thing: I love hot cheese even more than I love angels and obese kittens.* If you can find a way to sear delicious Halloumi cheese, cover it in anise-flavored Greek booze, fresh herbs, tomatoes and garlic, then I will let you into my circle of friendship. (*I actually loathe cats.)