826 Hinton Avenue . Charlottesville, VA . (434) 972-9463
The full article on Tavola is here. Short report below.
Tavola may be Charlottesville’s warmest restaurant. From the cozy vibe of the Belmont storefront, to its caring servers, to the soulful, rustic Italian fare, Tavola exudes warmth. At the heart of it all is the relationship between chef Michael Keaveny and his wife Tami, with whom he co-owns the restaurant and whom Keaveny calls his “muse.” In an era when “Mom and Pops” are growing scarce, Tavola is a throwback, serving ingredient-driven cuisine, where the chef has the restraint necessary to know when to get out of the way. Inspired by their love for each other, for Charlottesville, and for food, the Keavenys have created one of Charlottesville’s most beloved restaurants.
What to Order
There is not a dud on the menu at Tavola. Yet, while the regular menu items are excellent, it is the specials that can reach even greater heights. Below are our picks as well as Keaveny’s.
- Vongole Oreganato al Forno, baked littleneck clams, bread crumbs, oregano, garlic butter, lemon ($9)
- Burrata, burrata cheese, arugula pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, grilled crostini ($13) (Special)
- Linguini alla carbonara, sausage, Olli pancetta, egg, onion, pecorino romano, black pepper ($18)
- Costoletta alla Milanese, veal chop pounded thin, breaded and sautéed with local cherry tomatoes, capers, baby arugula, and grilled Meyer lemon ($25)
- Skate Wing, crispy skate wing w/ linguini aglio, heirloom tomatoes, castel vetrano olives, basil, lemon ($23) (Special)
In addition to the Vongole and Linguini alla carbonara that we chose, Chef Keaveny named:
- Pappardelle Bolognese, house made pasta, traditional Bolognese sauce with Timbercreek Organics beef and pork, grana padano ($19)
- Capesante ai Ferri, pan-roasted sea scallops, leek-beet risotto, white truffle oil ($24)
- Finocchio Arrosto con Aranci, roasted fennel, grilled oranges, basil ($6)
- Cavoletti di Bruxelles pan Tostado, pan roasted Brussels sprouts, pancetta, brown butter ($6)